Today is National Watermelon Day, and Friday, so celebrate it with these fun summer recipes. Not only is watermelon delicious, but it’s also very healthy. In fact, I just learned that watermelon is both a fruit and a vegetable. I always thought it was a fruit because of all the seeds. So, it’s no surprise that it has numerous health benefits. As tasty as it is, watermelon is mostly water, so go ahead and eat as much as you want. Enjoy it on a salad, in a drink, or just eat a slice.
Health Benefits of Watermelon
- Provides some protection from the sun
- Lowers your blood pressure
- Good for your eyes
- High water content (92%)
- Prevents joints inflammation
- Easy to digest
Now that you know the health benefits of watermelon, here are three mouth-watering watermelon recipes you need to try!
1.Watermelon Fruit Bowl
- Cut a slice off the bottom of the melon to make it level.
- Cut off the top third of the melon.
- To make watermelon balls, scoop out the inside with a melon-ball cutter or teaspoon.
- Using a cup as a guide, trace scallops around the edge of the hollowed shell. Then carve out the scallops.
- Fill the shell with melon balls, small slices of peaches, or assorted fruit as desired.
This crowd-pleasing watermelon fruit bowl will be fun to eat at any summer party.
2.Watermelon and Tomato Salad
- Arrange three tomato slices on each of four salad plates.
- Combine vinegar, oil, and basil in a bowl, and mix well.
- Then, add watermelon to the bowl and toss gently until it’s evenly coated.
- Spoon out the watermelon and put over the tomatoes.
- Top with salt and pepper, and serve.
For an interesting twist on a salad (because salads can get boring) try this watermelon and tomato salad.
3. Watermelon Smoothie
- Add 2 cups of frozen watermelon
- Then add 1 cup water
- Use 1 tablespoon of honey or another sweetener for taste
- A few mint and/or basil leaves will take it to the next level
To make a refreshing summer smoothie, try this tasty recipe for the world’s best watermelon smoothie.
Who doesn’t love fruit? Especially when it’s this aesthetically pleasing. Next time you’re invited to a party this summer, bring one of these delicious recipes. For a nighttime event with some friends, try adding a splash of vodka to the watermelon smoothie. This way, you’ll be partying all night long. Just make sure you’re with people you trust when drinking. If not, be sure to do a background check on the hosts of the party.
You May Also Like: 5 Places To Celebrate National Tequila Day