If you feel like you may be in an unhealthy relationship, then you probably are. Although things aren’t always rainbows and unicorns, a relationship is meant to lift you up — not bring you down or make you unhappy.
Wondering if it’s time to say goodbye?
Here are 13 tell-tale signs you’re in an unhealthy relationship:
1. It’s hard to communicate with your partner.
Communication really is key! You should be able to openly discuss anything with each other.
2. You’re afraid of how he/she will react to anything you say.
Nobody should ever have to fear what their partner’s reaction will be, no matter what they have to say.
3. He/she is overly obsessive.
Whether it’s about texts and calls, you and your relationship, or silly situations, you notice your boyfriend or girlfriend has a tendency to become overly obsessed with things.
4. Your partner doesn’t emotionally support you.
Does your boyfriend or girlfriend act cold or distant when you’re in need of a shoulder to cry on?
5. He/she is rude, calls you names, or mocks you “jokingly” on a regular basis.
Everybody jokes in their own way, but it’s not funny when someone’s sense of humor mainly consists of belittling remarks.
6. Nobody likes or approves of your significant other.
Your loved ones should embrace the person you’re dating. If nobody likes him or her, then there has to be a reason why.
7. They blame you for their own faults and mistakes.
Does your partner blame you for his/her own actions, or even worse, take it out on you? Red flag for an unhealthy relationship!
8. S/he lies frequently.
Everybody tells white lies here and there… Consistent and frequent lies are something different. This may indicate your partner is actually hiding something.
For example, maybe he or she lies about who’s texting them. Punch that person’s number into a telephone number lookup service online to see who it really is!
9. Your significant other doesn’t embrace your goals or believe in your dreams.
He/she should be your #1 fan and biggest cheerleader!
10. You feel threatened, either indirectly or directly.
11. Mental, emotional, or physical abuse.
ALSO NOT OKAY.
Suspicious, but not quite sure if he/she is really cheating? Read 5 Signs Your Significant Other Is Cheating On You (And How To Find Out).
13. You’re sad more often than you’re happy.
Relationships are supposed to help you grow into a better, stronger, happier person. If you’re crying more often than you’re smiling, it’s time to say goodbye.
Do you notice any of these red flags with your significant other?
Share this article to spread the word and maybe motivate somebody to finally leave their toxic relationship once and for all!